Meet Tylar Neu. An old friend of mine, located in Longmont, Colorado, Tylar graduated from Colorado State University in 2015 with a degree in Human Development and Family Studies. She’s a certified Personal Trainer, yoga instructor, life coach, and basically just the overall image of good fitness and health! I talked to her about everything from cardio and lifting, to yoga and nutrition. On her Instagram, she frequently posts ‘how to’ videos, fitness inspiration pics and self-love images.
I’ve decided that it?s time to start shedding some weight and really get back into focusing on fitness and health.?Together, we created the busy girl?s guide to fitness and health. Here are some tips around working out, nutrition, and self-care.
1. The Workout:
I wish I loved running. I wish I could turn on some music, and run for hours. But the honest truth is I hate running, and that?s okay. There are countless ways to be fit and Tylar stresses that the best work out is always the best workout for you.?Workouts should be something to look forward to, not dread.
Tylar does have suggestions when it comes to squeezing workouts into the chaos that is life. ?If you?re pressed for time, HIIT (high intensity interval training) is a great option.? This is picking 4-5 exercises, performing each for x amount of reps or x amount of seconds, for however much time you have free, even if it?s just 20 minutes.
?I personally like to combine strength training and interval training. Lifting weights boosts your metabolism by training your body to use nutrients more efficiently, and creates that ?toned? look.”?
While Tylar understands that life gets busy, she stresses the importance of making time to take care of yourself. ?If you don?t make time for your health now, you?ll have to make time for disease and sickness later.? Here is a super Fast 20 minute HIIT Circuit that really focuses on legs:
- 30 second Burpies/30 seconds rest
- 30 seconds Lunges/30 seconds rest
- 30 seconds Stairs or High Knees/30 seconds rest?
- 30 seconds Jump Rope/30 seconds rest
If done for 20 minutes, you’d visit each station or workout five times. Remember to stretch before and after.
2. The Nutrition:
Fitness and health is 80% based around your nutrition. What we put in our bodies is the most important part of how our bodies operate. Since french fries are amazing and we can’t deny our love for a sweet treat, Tylar says that nutrition is all about balance.
?Our bodies know what?s good for them, we just need to get better at listening to them. I wouldn?t call myself a vegan but I definitely like to focus on a plant based diet because it just makes me feel better. I also decided to experiment with giving up dairy, and my energy levels went way up! It?s so interesting how small changes like that impact us so much,” she says.
Here are some examples of healthy options you can add in your meals:
- Hummus and veggies
- Lentil pasta instead of regular pasta
- Riced cauliflower as a solid base
- Sprouted grain bread topped with nut butter or avocado/fruit
- Cut up fruit topped with chia seeds or coconut flakes
- Rice cakes topped with nut butter or greek yogurt?
- Cottage cheese
- Zucchini noodles (zoodles) which you can buy pre-made
- Cut up veggies, kalamata olives and feta cheese, drizzled with lemon juice or vinegar
My favourite Tylar philosophy has got to be ?talk to yourself the way you would talk to your best friend.? Look at yourself in the mirror and tell yourself how awesome and beautiful you are, because it?s all true.? Whatever you need, using the tools you have available to make yourself feel positive and uplifted is important. Do you need a bit of fresh air? Or do you need to vent with a friend? Whatever it is, know that if it makes you feel like you’re living your best life, you are.?
Some self-care tips and tricks to remember:
- Perhaps most importantly, if you suspect your health is in decline, it might be time to speak to a general practitioner in windsor to get to the root of the issue. Don’t compromise on your health and always speak to a professional if you need medical support
- Relationship quality; friendships and relationships are important, so put the necessary work in
- Choose reading a book over Facebook; reading is a wonderful way to travel without leaving your sofa
- Go outside. Enjoying the outdoors and breathing in press air is good for you
- Do things that make you feel like you’re spending quality time with yourself; don’t reserve spa days for girls night or bachelorette parties. Make yourself a smoothie bowl, do a face-mask, and listen to some soothing tunes
- Self reflection; this one is very important. We all need to get better at listening to our bodies, and our hearts. Take a 10 minute chunk out of your day and ask yourself how you feel, how your day was, and what you need