When people think of their ideal partner, we like to imagine all of their amazing characteristics. We want the perfect person with the perfect personality and the perfect features. Someone who has as few flaws as possible because well, who would go to the store to buy a broken item, right?
I know we all love that fairy-tale image of our soulmate, our other half, our best friend and lover but the time has come to go beyond this image of perfection and embrace the unknown. Yes, it’s time to start thinking about the flaws.
For all of us who are perpetually single, we tend to get this idea that as soon as someone shows the slightest interest in us, we have to put on this facade of perfection. Well, you know what? Forget that. If someone is going to love us, they need to know the good, the bad and, dare I say it, the ugly.
A lot of people don’t like to talk about their flaws, but it’s time to leave that mentality behind. Let’s get weird.
- Sometimes, I drool in my sleep.
- My hair sheds… a lot.
- Nail-biting is one of my worst habits.
- I do not like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and I will not keep that icky shit in my apartment.
- I will always tell you ‘I’m fine’, even if you know otherwise (but if you use that line on me, I will annoy the hell out of you until you tell me what’s wrong).
- There are days when I’m too quiet and days when I won’t shut up. Good luck figuring out that schedule.
- When we’re in the car, the windows will be down and music will be blaring… whatever the weather.
- Sleeping in is not a thing. Expect the lights to be on by 6am. Yes, even on a Saturday.
- Whenever there is music on, I will sing along, and you will want ear plugs.
- Sometimes I forget to shave my legs.
- When Mother Nature stops by every month, she always forgets the chocolate and brings the acne.
- If you have a beard, I will put tinsel and ornaments in it when Christmas comes around.
- Speaking of Christmas… I cry when the tree is finished and watch Christmas movies every night starting December 1st.
Quite honestly, the list could go on and on. I’m not perfect. I’m nowhere near it, but if I’m going to get in a relationship or begin a friendship with someone, they should probably know this up front. If they don’t know… well, they’ll figure it out. My point is why would we want to be with anyone who runs at the first sign of imperfection? Damn, imperfections are awesome. They are the sole characteristics that really show who we are, and how you react to imperfections shows who you are.
Not everyone can accept your flaws but we were meant to be imperfect and we were meant to embrace our weirdness. After all, love is when you find somebody whose weirdness just so happens to be compatible with yours.
I have a million flaws and so do you. We all have our insecurities and our fears. Some of us tend to laugh and cry at the same things for no reason and sometimes we need to act really crazy… just because.
Despite all of this, none of us are alone. No matter who you are, there are lots of people who care about you unconditionally. The people who stay by your side through the good times and the bad are the ones you want to keep around forever. Sometimes they’ll wonder why the hell they’re friends with you, but that sure as hell doesn’t mean they’re ditching you anytime soon.
When “the one” comes around, they’ll love you just the way you are. Even with your morning breath, tendency to overreact, and terrible singing. They make you unique, they make you beautiful, and learning to accept others as they are is one of the greatest traits you can have.