Mornings are hard. Even when it’s not a Monday, waking up can be a drag when your eyes are puffy, your alarm went off in the middle of a dream, and a full day is ahead of you. Maybe the thought of making coffee is too much, or you’re not motivated to escape the warmth of your duvet. When I wake up groggy and sleep deprived from staying up late binge-watching the latest hit TV show, what gets me out of bed is a hearty breakfast that allows me to seize the day. Coffee on an empty stomach will leave me feeling nauseous, but a quick and easy breakfast will help kick-start my day and give me a boost of productivity. Whether you need something quick or are able to have a lie in, here’s three breakfast ideas for your next morning.
1 Avocado Toast and Poached Eggs
The Instagram favorite and tried and trusted by millenials and gen-z alike: avocado toast. Rich in healthy fats, whole grains, and protein, this is the perfect start for any morning. Make it quick and travel-friendly by skipping the poached egg, or make yourself a fancy brunch on the weekend. Either way, this recipe is basically foolproof and delicious.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- 1 avocado
- 1-2 slices of bread (sourdough is best)
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper
- A sprinkle of Chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon of red pepper flakes
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- Heat a pot of water deep enough to poach an egg and bring it to a soft boil, with small bubbles up the side of the pan. Slowly create a vortex in the water by using a spoon and crack an egg into the whirlpool. Allow the egg whites to wrap around the yolk and let it cook for 3 minutes.
- While your egg is poaching, toast your slices of bread on medium until it’s a light golden brown. Use however much avocado you’d like per slice by smashing it up and applying it using a fork.
- When your egg it done, use a spoon to get it out of the water and gently place it on a paper towel to get rid of the excess water, then move the egg onto a piece of avocado toast. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, a hint of chilli powder for a spicy kick, and a dash of red pepper flakes. Finish with a squeeze of lemon juice. Enjoy!
2 A fresh smoothie
Get your daily dose of vitamins and feel refreshed when you wake up with a smoothie. Whether you like it with greens or solely fruit, there’s so many ways to mix up your smoothie game. Add in extra ingredients or stick with the basics – either way, you’ll end up with a fresh smoothie.
- ½ cup of coconut milk (or any milk you prefer)
- 1 banana
- 1 cup of kale
- 1 cup of frozen berries
- Fresh berries (to cop)
- Chia seeds!
- Put the banana and kale in, followed by half of the milk, into a blender. Mix until creamy.
- Add in the frozen berries and the rest of the milk and mix until it’s smooth
- Cut up small pieces of the fruit of your choice on a cutting board and place it aside
- Pour the smoothie into a cup and sprinkle in chia seeds and the cut fruit, finish with granola
This recipe is easy to build on. Try new fruits, add different greens, add chocolate or protein powder, and have fun with your colorful and healthy breakfast.
3 Scrambled eggs
If you’re on the go and need to get in the car on the way to work, scrambled eggs are simple and quick. Like a smoothie, it’s easy to spice up and change depending on your mood. Whether you want it plain, with hot sauce, or filled with veggies, scrambled eggs are fast and healthy, even on your most chaotic mornings. Try this recipe for a change, which is cheap and hearty:
- Two eggs
- Green pepper
- Yellow onion
- Hot sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Heat a pan on medium and pour a tablespoon of oil in it. While the pan heats up, crack two eggs into a small bowl and whisk briefly until mixed.
- Use a cutting board and dice two tablespoons of both green pepper and onion. Place it into the pan and cook until slightly golden. Add in the egg mixture and scramble for two minutes until cooked to your liking
- Once it’s done, put into a bowl and for a spicy kick, add some hot sauce. Then sprinkle with salt and pepper and enjoy
Breakfast doesn’t have to be boring. Kick start your day with the most important meal and try these recipes for a productive and healthy morning.